You think you will never have to call a fire and water damage restoration company. Although most of us like to think that our homes are safe from fire, the truth is that house fires are actually quite common. In fact, according to the National Fire Protection Association, there were over 350,000 house fires in the United States in 2018 alone. That works out to an average of one fire every 63 seconds. And while the vast majority of these fires are small and can be easily contained, they still pose a serious threat to life and property.
One of the main reasons house fires are so common is that many different things can cause them. For example, careless cooking is one of the most common causes of house fires. Still, other potential hazards include faulty electrical wiring, candles, smoking, and even something as innocent as a child playing with matches. And once a fire starts, it can quickly spread throughout the home, putting everyone at risk.
So what can you do to protect your home from fire? The first step is to be aware of the potential risks and take steps to minimize them. Second, make sure you have working smoke detectors in your home and test them regularly. Finally, if a fire breaks out, ensure you know how to use a fire extinguisher and have an evacuation plan in place so you can get out quickly and safely. Taking these precautions can help keep your home and your family safe from fire.
Types Of House Fires
House fires can be caused by a variety of factors, from faulty wiring to careless smoking. However, there are three main types of house fires: grease fires, electrical fires, and trash can fires.
Grease fires typically occur in the kitchen when cooking oil or grease catches fire. These fires can be very dangerous, as they spread quickly and are difficult to extinguish. Electrical fires are another common type of house fire. These usually start due to overloaded circuits or faulty wiring. Like grease fires, electrical fires can spread quickly and be difficult to put out. Trashcan fires are the third type of common house fire. These often occur when people throw lit cigarettes into the trash can or improperly dispose of flammable liquids. Trashcan fires can also spread quickly, but they are usually easier to extinguish than other types of house fires.
Fire Damage Restoration In Knoxville
How To Put Out A Grease Fire
A grease fire is one of the most dangerous types of fire that can occur in a home. Due to the fact that grease is a liquid, it can spread quickly and easily ignite other combustible materials. If a grease fire starts in your kitchen, it is important to act quickly to extinguish it. The first step is to turn off the heat source. If the fire is small and contained to a pan, you can do this by removing the pan from the heat.
If the fire is more extensive, you will need to turn off the stovetop burners or oven. Once the heat source is turned off, do not move the pan. Doing so could cause the fire to spread. Instead, cover the pan with a lid or baking sheet to smother the flames. Never use water to extinguish a grease fire, as this will only cause the hot grease to splatter and spread the fire. If you are unable to extinguish the fire on your own, call 911 immediately and evacuate your home.
Extinguishing An Electrical Fire
Electrical fires are a serious hazard in the home, and they can be notoriously difficult to extinguish. Therefore, if you find yourself in the midst of an electrical fire, it is important to take quick action to prevent the fire from spreading.
The first step is to disconnect the power source. If the fire is small and contained, you may be able to smother it with a blanket or extinguisher. However, if the fire is large or out of control, it is best to evacuate the premises and call 911. In any case, it is essential to exercise caution when dealing with an electrical fire, as it can be perilous.
Wood Burning Fires
If you have a wood-burning fire that is out of control, there are several things you can do to put it out. First, remove any combustible materials from the area around the fire. This includes items like newspapers, carpets, and furniture. Then, wet down any nearby dry grass or leaves to create a barrier between the fire and the fuel.
Next, use a shovel to cover the fire with dirt or sand. Finally, douse the area with water from a hose or bucket to extinguish any remaining embers. By following these steps, you can quickly and safely put out a wood-burning fire.
Dealing With A Gas Fire
In the event of a gas fire, it is important to act quickly and calmly. First, turn off the gas supply at the main valve. Then, open all the doors and windows to ventilate the area. If the fire is small and contained, you may be able to extinguish it with a fire blanket or a fire extinguisher.
However, if the fire is large or spreading, evacuate the area immediately and call the fire department. Never attempt to fight a gas fire with water, as this will only spread the flames. By following these steps, you can help ensure that a gas fire is safely contained and extinguished.
After The Fact
A fire in your home is a traumatic event. In the aftermath, you will need to deal with the damage to your property and the emotional fallout. A critical step in the recovery process is to call a professional fire restoration company. We specialize in cleaning up and repairing homes that have been damaged by fire. Apex Restoration has the experience and expertise to quickly assess the damage and develop a plan of action. The sooner you call a fire and water damage restoration company, the sooner we can get to work restoring your home to its pre-fire condition.
NEXT: Black Mold: When (and how) to DIY and When to Get a Professional Mold, Fire, and Water Restoration Company